Canadian Graduate Students
We are committed to helping Canadian students pursue their graduate studies at Canisius. Follow our guide below and feel free to reach out with questions.
Whether you pursue a degree online or on campus, in business or education, your program will be convenient, include real-world experience and prepare you to meet your career goals. If you're in one of our education programs, you'll have the opportunity to complete your student teaching requirement in Ontario. If you're in sport administration, you'll be able to do your internship anywhere in the world. Our Canadian Teacher Education programs are designed to meet the new OCT requirements. Our programs can be completed in four, consecutive semesters (Fall, Spring, Summer, Fall or Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring) and are offered on Mondays and Tuesdays on our Buffalo, NY campus.
Examinations and Requirements
Students can take examinations sponsored by CLEP, the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) or by the New York State College Proficiency Examination Program (CPE). Students must consult with the appropriate dean for permission to use any credit by examination toward their graduate degree or certificate requirements.
Teaching In Ontario After Receiving Certification
Once requirements are complete, Canadian students will apply to the New York State Department of Education for certification. New York will then pass certification information to the Ontario College of Teachers to issue the appropriate certification in Ontario.
CredIt Hour Equivalency
3 credit hours=1 half year course
6 credit hours=1 full year course
OAC and Prerequisite Requirements
OAC and grade 13 courses count toward the prerequisite course requirements.
- Fill out the International Student Certification of Finances (COF) form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Upon receipt and verification of the COF form, admissions will mail you a Certificate of Visa Eligibility (Form I-20).
Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
Residents of Ontario, Canada can apply for Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) funding. In
- Complete the OSAP Program Information Form.
- Complete the student portion of the Program Information Form.
- Submit the school section to our Financial Aid Office for completion, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 716-888-2300 or 800-541-6348.
- Send the completed form to the OSAP Student Support Branch.
After the Program Information Form has been processed by the Ontario Ministry, you will receive two forms:
- The “Confirmation of Enrollment Form” must be completed by the student and requires a signature from the Financial Aid Office.
- A three-part form, which requires a signature from the Office of Student Records.
Both forms confirm the student’s enrollment.
Submit these two forms to the Office of Ministry. Disbursement of the student’s loan funds will then be made to the student.