Transfer Credits

As you begin to work on your transfer plan, you are probably wondering will my college credit transfer with me? At Canisius College, we consider a number of different sources for possible transfer credit. Students not only have possible transfer credit from the college(s) they have attended, but may have also completed some college credit well in high school or the military. Below you will find a list of transfer credit options and some answers about how to have your credit evaluated by Canisius College.   

Having Your Credit Evaluated

Transfer students looking to see how individual courses will transfer into Canisius, you may find our online unofficial transfer credit evaluation helpful. If you are a student looking to know how 15 or more credit hours or full semesters of course work will transfer into a Canisius College degree program, please request an unofficial transfer credit evaluation.

Use Unofficial Credit Tool

Students are always welcome to request an unofficial transfer credit evaluation before deciding to apply to Canisius College. You will simply need to complete and submit the unofficial transfer credit evaluation request below. Completed evaluations will be emailed to students within two weeks of your request.

Request an Unofficial Credit Evaluation

Transfer Credit Policies

A maximum of 60 credit hours may be transferred from two-year colleges, and at least 60 more credit hours must be earned at Canisius in order to be awarded the bachelor’s degree. Students transferring from four-year institutions may transfer a maximum of 90 credits and must complete at least 30 credit hours at Canisius, including at least 18 in their major, in order to earn the Bachelor’s degree.

Transfer credit from accredited two- and four-year institutions of higher education is granted when the course objectives for the completed work are substantially the same as the course objectives at Canisius College. Transfer credit is awarded only for courses with a minimum grade of C- or better. If an Associate’s degree was earned by the student, all courses with a minimum grade of D or better will be considered for transfer credit.

For Teacher Certification candidates, a grade of C or better is required to transfer courses listed as major courses in teacher education, special education, health education, and athletic training programs. Once transcripts have been submitted to and reviewed by the Student Records and Financial Services Center, the student will meet with an Assistant/Associate Dean to review the transfer credit and register for classes.

The original grades in transferred courses will not be calculated into the Canisius grade point average (GPA), but the credits will be applied to the major, Core Curriculum, or as Free Electives (counting toward the 120 credit-hour requirement for the Bachelor’s degree).


Transfer Credit Agreements

Canisius College has established articulation agreements with local two-year colleges in the Western New York area. 

These agreements will allow students to seamlessly transfer to Canisius College after they receive an associate's degree from the two-year institution, should they follow all requirements noted in the articulation agreements.

SUNY Erie Community College

Finger Lakes Community College

Genesee Community College

Jamestown Community College

Monroe Community College

Niagara Community College


Military Credit

Canisius College is a proud supporter of our military. Most veterans receive some form of college credit from their basic training, specialized job training, leadership training, and much more during their time in service. Be sure to submit your Joint Services Transcript, Community College of the Air Force transcript, or any other forms of military credit when you apply for transfer admissions at Canisius College. 

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

Students achieving a 3 or higher on a College Entrance Examination Board Advanced Placement Test will normally earn at least elective credit toward a degree at Canisius College. (Canisius College reserves the right to deny credit for a 3 in a particular Advanced Placement Test if subsequent student performance in relevant courses at Canisius College has provided evidence that a 3 on that test does not demonstrate college level competence.) Core curriculum credit for such courses is subject to approval by the Office of Academic Affairs, and credit in the major is subject to approval of course equivalency by the major department or program. Official results of the exam must be sent from the College Board to Canisius College before credit can be awarded. All such requests should be directed to the Student Records and Financial Services Center who will consult with the major program or department as needed.

Learn More About AP Credit Equivalencies

International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit

Canisius College grants academic credit for the following International Baccalaureate work.

For individual exams:
• 5 or higher on a Higher Level exam counts as two 3-credit courses – 1 Field in the core curriculum and 1 Free elective (unless a department recognizes specific course equivalencies).
• 4 on a Higher Level exam counts as a 3-credit free elective.
• 5 or higher on a Standard Level exam counts as a 3-credit free elective.
• An IB diploma will be recognized with 30 credits of work at Canisius, which is the maximum amount of credit granted for pre-college work.

A student who has earned the IB Diploma will be awarded the full maximum of 30 credit hours. Official IB exam scores should be sent directly to the Office of Student Records to have individual diploma exams evaluated to determine specific transfer credit to be applied toward major, core curriculum, or elective course requirements. Major credit will be determined in consultation with department chairs. Students will not receive additional credit for AP exams that duplicate credit awarded for the IB exams, and the maximum amount of credit for pre-college work is 30 credits.

Learn More About IB Credit Equivalencies 


College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Students who are applying for admission or who are presently in attendance may obtain credit for previously completed examinations sponsored by the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB). The minimum acceptable grades for these exams are “Pass” for exams graded Pass/Fail, “C” for exams with letter grades, and 50 on exams graded on a standard score scale of 20 to 80. Credit is not awarded for the CLEP general examinations. Credit in appropriate subject area exams is granted by the Student Records and Financial Services Center after the student has matriculated at the college. However, not all CLEP exams are acceptable as transfer credits. In addition, credits to be used in fulfilling departmental major requirements must first be approved in writing by the department chair. Students should plan to complete all their coursework at the college. Permission for matriculating students to take CLEP exams to fulfill degree requirements must be requested from the appropriate associate dean and will be granted only under extraordinary circumstances.