Transfer Admissions FAQ

What is the application deadline? Canisius has rolling admissions. That means, you can apply to transfer any time throughout the year.

When can I transfer? Transfer students are enrolled for both the fall and spring semesters. 

Who do I call if I have questions about my application? The Transfer Admissions Counselor can answer questions about your application. You can reach the Transfer Admissions Counselor by calling: (716)888-2200.

Can I attend Open House and other transfer events? Yes, transfer students are welcome to attend campus events. At large events, such as open house, the Transfer Admissions Counselor will be available to answer questions. 

How will I know if my credits will transfer? 1. After you apply and send us transcripts from each college or university you have attended, a full transfer credit evaluation will be completed and mailed to you within a couple of weeks after you are officially accepted. 2. You can also contact the registrar’s office for a preliminary credit evaluation before you apply. 3. You can use our online credit evaluation tool: 

I applied to Canisius as a freshman, am I still eligible for that scholarship? If you were awarded a scholarship as a new student and transfer to Canisius within one year, you may still be eligible for the new student scholarship. Please contact the Transfer Admissions Counselor for more information. 

Can transfer students live on campus? Yes. 

How is housing determined for transfer students? Once you are accepted to Canisius, you will complete the housing application to determine your housing for the upcoming semester. Housing in determined based on how many credits you have when you enroll and the information on your housing application. 

How do I reserve my place for the semester I want to transfer? Before you can register for classes, you must secure your place in class by paying a $200 deposit. This may be done online or over the phone. If you intend to live on campus, an additional $200 deposit is required to hold your place in the residence halls. 

How do I register for classes? Once you are accepted, you will be assigned to an Academic Advisor. You will meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss your schedule and register for classes your first semester. 

How long will it take me to graduate? Once your credit evaluation is completed, your Academic Advisor will schedule and program completion date with you. 
Can I just send the transcripts from my last school? You must send your transcripts for all colleges and universities you have attended. An admissions decision cannot be made until we have the official transcripts from all schools. 

What does the admissions essay have to be about? The admissions essay should be approximately 250 words on a topic of your choice. Many students choose to write about why they have decided to transfer to Canisius.

As a transfer student, can I have a car on campus? Yes, but parking near residence halls or classroom buildings is not guaranteed. Canisius College has a parking garage available to students. All undergraduate students are given a Metro Pass that enables you to use the city's public transportation for free.  Additionally, Canisius offers weekend shuttles to the Walden Galleria Mall, area supermarkets and to the ski resorts during ski season.

Do I have to attend Orientation? Our mandatory 4-day summer New Student Orientation (NSO) program for all incoming undergraduate first year and transfer students will take place at the end of August. In an effort to assist you with your transition to Canisius, we strongly encourage you to attend the entire 4-day program.  However, we have designed the program to meet your busy lifestyle.  Please note the following requirements for New Student Orientation:
•    Freshmen/Transfer students are required to attend Thursday. Sunday will be optional. 
•    Adult Students (Adult students are students 22 years of age or older).  We encourage adult students to take advantage of the entire orientation schedule.  However, to assist you with your transition to Canisius, we suggest that you follow the Transfer Student schedule located on the myCanisius portal.

What support services are available to help with my transition to Canisius? 
Griff Center for Student Success - Located in Old Main 013, the Griff Center provides: a comprehensive orientation for all new students, including transfers; academic advisement for freshmen, student-athletes, undecided majors, and transfer students; career development, internship services, academic mentoring, accessibility support, and veteran support services. 

In addition, there is a professional staff member, Jennifer Herrmann, in the Griff Center, who is designated as the Transfer Student Liaison, and she can assist you with finding resources, solving problems, and settling in to become a Golden Griffin. She can be contacted at 716-888-3212, via email:, or stop in at the Griff Center, Old Main 013. 

Will I be the only transfer student in my classes? With over 100 undergraduate students transferring to Canisius each fall, it is easy to meet other transfer students on campus. You may also contact the Transfer Student Liason in the Griff Center for questions on how to get involved in a Transfer Student Mentorship Program.

I have a federal work-study award; how do I find a work study job?
The Student Records and Financial Services Center emails students who have accepted Work Study with instructions for accessing the listings of open positions. Contact the Center (716-888-2600) if you have any questions.

I received accommodations at my last institution; where can I go to make similar arrangements?
The Griff Center provides academic and non-academic accommodations for students with both permanent and temporary disabilities. Students must register and meet with a professional in the office to receive services; needs are evaluated on a case-by-case, course-by-course basis. The office is located in the Accessibility Services Center in Old Main 317, phone: 888-2170.

I am interested in joining the All-College Honors Program. Can I apply as a transfer student?
Contact the Director of the All-College Honors Program, Janet McNally, MFA, at for more information.

Something else? Do you have questions or need more information on transferring to Canisius? Contact the Office of Admissions at 1-800-843-1517 or