Classes Begin August 31
Undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences, the Wehle School of Business, and the School of Education and Human Services begin the academic semester as planned on August 31. Labor Day and fall break are eliminated making the last day of in-person classes November 24, when the college breaks for the Thanksgiving holiday. After that date, all remaining instruction will move online. Undergraduate students are not required to return to campus. Students who wish to remain in the residence halls and access available dining and student services will be able to do so by registering with Student Life.
This fall, students should expect a “multi-modal” learning experience. Because of social distancing requirements, Canisius will combine high quality interactions in the classroom with online content. This means that the college is prepared to engage students regardless of whether they are in the classroom or learning remotely. Canisius will also maximize use of additional campus spaces for classes to provide as much face-to-face instruction as possible.
All classes include an online orientation prior to the start of the first class to inform students about the class meeting schedule and to establish expectations. These orientations will support the new social distancing guidelines smoothly.
In the event that students encounter challenges or barriers to a successful learning experience, the faculty, in coordination with the Griff Center for Student Success, is available to address needs.
Fall 2020 revised calendar
- Monday, August 31 -- First day of classes (no change)
- Monday, September 7 – Classes in session, limited office staffing (note change, no Labor Day holiday for classes)
- Wednesday, September 16 – All classes meet (this would have been Mass of the Holy Spirit, but, because we cannot have gatherings that large, it will be a normal class day)
- Monday, October 12 – Classes in session, limited office staffing (note change, no Fall Holiday for classes)
- Wednesday, November 25 – No classes, beginning of Thanksgiving Break (no change)
- Monday, November 30 – Classes resume (virtual option only, no face-to-face class)
- Tuesday, December 1 – Last day of class (virtual option only)
- Wednesday, December 2 – Reading Day – no classes
- Thursday, December 3 – First day of final exams
- Wednesday, December 9 – Last day of final exams