Scholarship Application and Guidelines
The Lee Foundation Scholarship Fund established in memory of Patrick Warn Lee provides $10,000 to deserving students pursuing degrees in Finance, Computer Science, Math and Statistics, or Physics and espouse the qualities of integrity, leadership, service to the community, and entrepreneurship.
There are two scholarship tracks: Freshmen Scholars and Junior/Senior Scholars. The College’s Financial Aid Office will accept applications and select students based on the following criteria.
Deadline: March 20, 2020
1. Scholarship applications will be considered from students who are interested in or currently majoring in one of the qualifying academic programs:
- Computer Science
- Mathematics and Statistics
2. Students must enroll full-time in one of the qualifying academic programs.
3. Applicants must prepare an essay (approximately 1,000 words) that describes: (1) why you want to pursue your academic field of study, and (2) illustrates how you exemplify the qualities of a Lee Scholar. Applicants must also list and describe community service, civic engagement, and/or philanthropic engagement activities in which you have participated.
4. Applicants will participate in an interview with a selection committee.
5. Applicants must be U.S. citizen or permanent resident; international students will not be considered. Preference will be given to applicants from Western New York.
6. Students are expected to be in good academic standing with an overall GPA of 3.0 or above to receive and maintain the scholarship.
7. It is the donor's intent that recipients of this scholarship act with the highest ethical standards. Students are expected to adhere to the Canisius College Community Standards (Canisius’ student code of conduct) or risk losing the scholarship.
8. Students must complete the FAFSA form. Preference is given to applicants with demonstrated financial need. Scholarship assistance, when combined with all other grants and scholarships, will not cover 100% of total cost of attendance (i.e., total cost of tuition, fees, room and board, and books and supplies.) Students and/or their families will be expected to have some amount of family contribution.
9. Scholarships are eligible for renewal based on funding availability, academic status, and committee approval.
10. Selected scholarship recipients agree to participate in select stewardship events and activities with the foundation as arranged by the Institutional Advancement Office.
Additional Information: Freshmen Scholars
Freshmen Scholars: Scholarship funds will be available to freshmen with demonstrated financial need who declare a major in one of the qualified fields of study listed above and evidence a commitment to excel in their chosen field. In addition to the general criteria, awards will be distributed according to the following guidelines:
• Two (2) scholarships of $10,000 each will be awarded annually to new incoming freshmen with a minimum high school average of 85 or a 3.0 GPA who declare a major in one of the qualifying areas of study and demonstrate a commitment to excel in their chosen field.
• Scholarships may be renewable over four years depending on availability of funds and eligibility.
• If the student changes his/her major to a non-qualifying major, the Lee Foundation Scholarship would be withdrawn and Canisius will adjust the student’s financial aid package with institutional aid.
Additional Information: Junior and Senior Scholars:
Scholarship funds will be available to students pursuing one of the qualified areas of study and who may be at risk of not completing their education at Canisius because of financial circumstances. The program will provide scholarships of $10,000 per student per academic year to relieve a portion of unmet financial need and reduce post-graduation debt. Student awardees in their junior year of study may receive a scholarship for a second year as long as the student remains in good academic standing and continue to declare one of the qualifying academic programs as a major.
Interested applicants should complete the following form:
Please submit an essay of approximately 1,000 words that describes: (1) why you want to pursue your academic field of study, and (2) illustrates how you exemplify the qualities of a Lee Scholar.