Financial Aid FAQs

Can anyone receive financial aid?

The only way to determine your eligibility is to submit an application for financial aid.  Many factors are considered in determining your eligibility.  Many families anticipate that they will not be eligible, when in fact, they may be. 

How do I apply for financial aid?

You should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA Worksheet is available from the Guidance Office at your high school.

What are the deadlines for submitting financial aid forms?

Most colleges recommend that entering freshmen complete the FAFSA sometime in the month of January, but no later than February 15. Canisius recommends that you complete the forms by February 15.

When will I be notified of my financial eligibility?

Financial aid award letter notifications are usually sent to prospective students in early spring.  Our office mails financial aid award letters by March 15.

If my parents' taxes are not completed by February 15, should I wait for them to be completed before I file my FAFSA?

Though it is important to have accurate financial information when completing the FAFSA, the financial aid community understands that it is difficult to complete the tax return process by February 15. Therefore, it is anticipated that you will use estimated income figures when completing your FAFSA. The FAFSA allows you to indicate that the income information is estimated. 

Must I wait to be accepted before I apply for financial aid?

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after January 1. To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at Canisius.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. After your first year, you will receive a "Renewal Application" which contains pre-printed information from the previous year's FAFSA. Note that your eligibility for financial aid may change significantly, especially if you have a different number of family members in college.

Once my financial aid package is awarded, will additional scholarships reduce the amount of financial aid I can receive?

If the various financial awards (i.e. scholarships/grants, loans, work) have met your financial need and we learn of an outside private scholarship, then one of the financial aid awards may be reduced or limited. Ideally, you want the college to consider reducing the self-help financial aid (loans, work).

My parents are separated or divorced. Which parent is responsible for filing the FAFSA?

If your parents are separated or divorced, the custodial parent is responsible for completing the FAFSA. The custodial parent is the parent with whom you lived the most during the past 12 months. Note that this is not necessarily the same parent who has legal custody. Contact the Financial Aid Office if you need further clarification.

What do I do if I feel that I have a "special circumstance"?

If there be anything unusual that should be brought to our attention, please contact us in writing so that we can examine this information for its impact on your eligibility.

I think my parents (or I) make too much money to qualify for financial aid programs - but we still need help.  Is there anything available to us?

You should always apply for financial aid that may be available from all sources (college, state, federal).  You may be eligible for more aid than you think but until you actually apply for aid, you will never know.

What is Canisius College's Title IV School code?


What if I need to speak to a financial aid counselor?

Usually our receptionists or financial aid technical staff members can answer your questions.  However, if you have a more elaborate question or problem, you may request a scheduled appointment with a financial aid administrator.