Student Advisement Parent Resources

Who will advise my son/daughter after the freshman year?
Students who have declared a major are assigned to a faculty member in the department of their declared major. Students who have not declared a major, or are uncertain about the major they were considering, must visit the Griff Center for Student Success to discuss their options and to make schedules. Undeclared students should also visit a career advisor in the Griff Center Career Development Suite, located in Horan O'Donnell 014, to discuss potential careers.

Will my son/daughter get into the classes needed to graduate? What if courses are closed?
With careful planning, including working closely with his/her advisor, a student will get into the courses that are required for graduation. In the case of Core Curriculum courses, a student may be closed out of a particular course that was desired, but other appropriate courses may be used to fulfill the requirement. If a course required for a student’s major is closed, the student must discuss this with his/her advisor to plan to take the course in a different semester prior to graduation. Like the old song says, "You can't always get what you want, but you’ll get what you need!"