Who is eligible for services?

All students currently registered and attending classes can be seen and treated by either the physician or nurse in Student Health. Faculty, staff and visitors are eligible for nurse visits for first aid only.

How much does it cost for a visit to Student Health?

All sick and injury visits are free of charge. Student Health does charge a fee for physical examinations and immunizations. Please contact the office for fee schedules.

Students are responsible for payment at time of services.

Are doctors on campus?

Yes, there is a doctor in Student Health during all clinic hours.

Do I need an appointment?

You must be currently registered and attending classes to use Student Health services. You can make appointments by calling Student Health first at 716 888-2610.

Due to COVID 19, to protect your safety and others, students must call Student Health for an appointment first. Students must be screened for COVID 19 symptoms before scheduling an appointment. Contact Student Health at 716-888-2610 select option 1 to make your appointment. Students must be a currently registered student to use Student Health services.

I need allergy shots. Can the nurse at the college give me my shot?

To read about allergy shots click here.

Does the Student Health Center offer Counseling Services?

The Student Health Center does not provide ongoing counseling services for emotional or mental health issues. The Counseling Center, located in the Bosch Hall Rm.105,  has counselors available to assist students with emotional or mental health issues.  Appointments can be made by calling 716.888.2620. The Counseling Center can also refer students to local mental health providers if needed. For more information on the Counseling Center, visit their website.

The Student Health Center is closed, what should I do?

Please visit myCanisiusHealth, under the education tab a list of after hours providers and virtual care services. For medical emergencies on campus please contact Public Safety at 716-888-2330. Off campus medical emergencies please call 911.

Can I get my prescriptions filled in the Student Health Center?

The Student Health Center does not fill prescriptions. Prior to your arrival on campus attempt to obtain enough of your prescription medication to last until your next visit home. If this is not possible, there are many local pharmacies available in the Buffalo area. Your health insurance plan, however, may place limitations on where you are able to have your prescriptions filled. A list of local pharmacies can be found on myCanisiusHealth.

If I am sick and miss class, will Student Health write me a medical note?

To read the Medical Note policy, click here.

Does Student Health notify my parents and faculty if I am sick?

No, Student Health does not notify parents, guardians, faculty, or coaches if you are sick or injured. You must sign an Authorization to Disclose Health Information designating what health information you want to share and to whom Student Health can release that information.

To read about how Student Health Center protects your privacy click here.

I do not have health insurance, can I be treated in Student Health?

Yes, all students are welcome in the Student Health Center. Canisius College however strongly recommends that all students have health insurance.  

Click here to read about health insurance available through the school.

What hospitals are closest to Canisius?

Canisius is located near several outstanding hospitals and medical centers. The Student Health Center primarily refers students, faculty and staff to Sisters of Charity Hospital at 2157 Main Street.  Sisters Hospital, located next to the college, is part of the Western New York Catholic Health System. The hospital provides a full range of services to members of the Canisius community, including emergency room care, in-patient treatment, laboratory, x-ray, and specialty clinics.

The Kaleida Health System operates several hospitals and clinics throughout Western New York.

Erie County Medical Center, located at 462 Grider Street is a quick expressway ride from the college.  A major trauma center for Western New York, this hospital also provides many specialty services.  

Roswell Park Cancer Institute, located on Elm and Carlton Street in downtown Buffalo, is a world-renown cancer research and treatment center.