New Undergraduate Student Health Requirements
Important Health Information You Need to Know
All new undergraduate students are required to submit a completed physical examination and immunization form to Student Health before attending class.
Physical examination and immunization form, click here.
If attending in fall, forms are due in Student Health by July 31.
If attending in spring, forms are due in Student Health by January 1.
If you miss that deadline or submit an incomplete immunization form your registration will be withdrawn 30 days after the semester begins. This means you are no longer a registered Canisius student. You will not be able to attend class or campus activities, reside in college housing, and no longer have access to college technology. All applicable dates for tuition refund will be applied to immunization withdrawals and an immunization re-registration fee collected when a student complies on or after the withdrawal date.
New Student Checklist
Use this check list to organize your health care needs before coming to campus.
- Print your physical examination and immunization form. Review the form before your appointment so you know what to you and your doctor need to complete.
- Schedule a doctor appointment for your physical as soon as possible and but no later than one month before due date.
- Schedule appointment with all your medical specialists (dentist, counselors, dermatologists, etc.) to be seen before leaving for school and to schedule additional follow up appointments for the college breaks.
- Call your health insurance carrier, request a copy of a health insurance card and ask how your plan coverage works when a college student.
- Discuss medication refills with your doctor. Bring enough medicine to school with you so you do not run out. If needed, arrange for prescription refills at a pharmacy in Western New York. A list of local pharmacies is available under Services on this web site.
- If you have ongoing health care needs, arrange to see a specialist or find a primary care physician in Western New York. Talk to your doctor and health insurance carrier about such a referral. Medical conditions such as diabetes, depression, seizure disorders, bipolar disorder, bleeding disorder to name a few, are best managed by specialists who work with your physicians back home.
- The college's Griff Center and Counseling Center are two offices that provide support services to ensure your academic success. Please take a few minutes to review their web sites.
Prepare a first aid bag include these items:
- Cough and cold medicine
- Throat lozenges
- Antihistamine such as diphenhydramine
- Band aids
- Antibiotic ointment
- Ice pack
- Ace wrap
- Flash light with extra batteries
- Bring alcohol based hand sanitizer to clean your hands frequently
- If you are living on campus purchase disinfecting cleaning supplies to keep your room clean.
- Consider purchasing a cool mist vaporizer as rooms can get very dry in the winter and they do help with congestion if you get a cold or flu.
- Log on to myCanisiusHealth to learn more about your student health portal.