New Undergraduate Student Health Requirements
Important Health Information and Requirements For New Undergraduate Students
All new undergraduate and transfer students are required to submit both immunization records and a physical examination.
New York State Public Health laws 2165 and 2167 requires you to submit proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella and to be educated about the risk of meningococcal disease and either submit proof of meningococcal vaccination within the past 5 years or sign a statement declining vaccination. The New York State Required Immunization Form needs to be completed by you and your health care provider and submitted to Student Health before your first registration.
If you do not submit the requested proof of immunity or submit an incomplete immunization form your registration will be withdrawn 30 days after the semester begins. This means you are no longer a registered Canisius student. You will not be able to attend class or campus activities, reside in college housing, and no longer have access to college technology. All applicable dates for tuition refund will be applied to immunization withdrawals and an immunization re-registration fee collected when a student complies on or after the withdrawal date.
For detailed information about New York State Immunization requirements for college attendance, learn more below:
Physical Examination Requirement
You should have a complete physical examination within one year of starting college. If you are playing a Division 1 Intercollegiate sport, your physical examinations must be within 6 months of first sports participation.
If attending in fall, forms are due in Student Health by July 31. If attending in spring, forms are due in Student Health by January 1. To learn more about the physical examination requirement, go here.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to COVID 19, it may be difficult to schedule an appointment with your health care provider for a complete physical examination.
Knowing this, we are offering students the option of completing the Alternate Health Form and submitting it along with a copy of their last physical examination.
Student athletes, playing a Division 1 intercollegiate sport, are not eligible for this exception.
New Student Checklist
Use this check list to organize your health care needs before coming to campus.
- Print your New York State Required Immunization Form and take it to your health care provider to complete.
- If you do not want to receive the meningococcal vaccination, be sure to complete the Meningitis Response section of New York State Required Immunization Form.
- Submit the Immunization Form to Student Health before you attempt to register at the college.
- Print the College Physical Examination Form
- Schedule an appointment with your health care provider for your physical as soon as possible and but no later than one month before due date.
- Review the physical examination form before your appointment so you know what you and your doctor need to complete.
- Submit your physical examination form to Student Health by the July 31 if attending in the fall or January 1 if attending in the spring.
- Check your new student check list for messages from Student Health about the completion of both the immunization and physical examination requirements.
- Schedule appointment with all your medical specialists (dentist, counselors, dermatologists, etc.) to be seen before leaving for school and to schedule additional follow up appointments for the college breaks.
- Call your health insurance carrier, request a copy of a health insurance card and ask how your plan coverage works when a college student.
- Discuss medication refills with your doctor. Bring enough medicine to school with you so you do not run out. If needed, arrange for prescription refills at a pharmacy in Western New York. A list of local pharmacies is available under the education tab on your health portal myCanisiusHealth.
- If you have ongoing health care needs, arrange to see a specialist or find a primary care physician in Western New York. Talk to your doctor and health insurance carrier about such a referral. Medical conditions such as diabetes, depression, seizure disorders, bipolar disorder, bleeding disorder, to name a few, are best managed by specialists who work with your physicians back home.
- The college's Griff Center and Counseling Center are two offices that provide support services to ensure your academic success. Please take a few minutes to review their web sites.
Prepare a first aid bag include these items:
- Cough and cold medicine
- Throat lozenges
- Antihistamine such as diphenhydramine
- Band aids
- Antibiotic ointment
- Ice pack
- Ace wrap
- Flash light with extra batteries
- Bring alcohol based hand sanitizer to clean your hands frequently
- If you are living on campus purchase disinfecting cleaning supplies to keep your room clean.
- Consider purchasing a cool mist vaporizer as rooms can get very dry in the winter and they do help with congestion if you get a cold or flu.
- Log on to myCanisiusHealth to learn more about your student health portal.
- 4-5 cloth face masks or a supply of disposable face masks