Welcome to the Core Curriculum
At Canisius, we espouse the ideal of academic excellence along with a sense of responsibility to use one's gifts for the service of others and the benefit of society. In the spirit of our mission as an American Catholic Jesuit University, Canisius College offers a Core Curriculum founded in Jesuit pedagogy and tradition.
The Core demonstrates our highest aspirations for our students. Our faculty attend to cura personalis (care for the whole person) as we prepare students to be men and women who strive continually for magis ("something more"). The Core seeks to develop:
- A breadth of knowledge in the liberal arts with a view to developing faculties of reflection and judgment.
- A focused awareness of the human condition, as marked by both cooperation and conflict, and an understanding of the ways in which educated people of good will and good spirit have contributed thoughtfulness and understanding to human progress.
- A foundation of skills that students need to turn their knowledge and understanding into academic productivity and social responsibility.
This site contains the following information:
- Descriptions of Core goals, learning objectives, and requirements
- Links to registration information
- Guidelines for faculty concerning application for Core designation and assessment of Core learning objectives