Chemistry and Biochemistry
Click to watch a video tour of the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department.
Chemistry and Biochemistry Majors Succeed in a Broad Range of Careers
Want to become a research chemist or biochemist and develop a new pharmaceutical product or discover a new class of materials? Interested in teaching science to high school students? How about preparing to become a medical doctor, physician’s assistant, a physical therapist, a dentist, a pharmacist, or even a lawyer! With a chemistry or biochemistry degree from Canisius College all of these possibilities, and many more, are yours to choose!
Why Study Chemistry and Biochemistry at Canisius?
- Graduates have a 100% acceptance rate to chemistry/biochemistry Ph.D. graduate programs and over a 90% acceptance rate to medical schools from 1992-2012
- Undergraduate research opportunities, starting as early as the summer after the freshman year
- Present research results at national conferences and co-author publications in prestigious peer-reviewed journals
- Two tracks certified by the American Chemical Society
- One track designed specifically to prepare students for medical, pharmacy, and dental schools
- Pre-Health Center dedicated specifically to helping students prepare for and apply to medical, pharmacy and dental schools
- All courses taught by full-time faculty
- Small class sizes: approximately 30 students in General and Organic chemistry courses and typically less than 15 students in upper level chemistry courses
- All majors advised by Chemistry/Biochemistry faculty
- High level of faculty/student interaction
- Active learning teaching techniques used in the classroom
- Visiting speakers and Gassman Seminar Series speakers discuss the latest research developments and career opportunities
- Gain hands-on experience with all major types of Modern Instrumentation
- Award winning Chemistry Club involved in numerous outreach and social events
To learn more about the Department or to arrange a tour, email Professor Mariusz Kozik, Department Chair.
Contact the Department at 716-888-2340 (phone) or 716-888-3112 (fax). The Department office is located in Horan O'Donnell, room 206.
Want more information?
Call 1-800-843-1517 to talk to an admissions counselor