Facilities and Instrumentation
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is located in the Horan-O’Donnell building. Facilities include three classrooms and two lecture halls (with the latest multimedia), five teaching laboratories, a library (with multiple computer terminals), a chemistry club room, research laboratory space for each faculty member, and a machine shop. The department has invested more than $1 million in state of the art instrumentation for use by students in laboratory courses and research projects. Major pieces of equipment include:
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
A strong magnetic field is used to determine structural and molecular environment data for compounds, as well as to study rates of chemical reactions.
- Agilent Technologies 400-MR DD2 400 MHz Multinuclear
Identifies and studies molecules via their vibrations.
- Nicolet 6700 FT Infrared Spectrometer
- StellarNet Raman Spectrometer
Determines properties of molecules by measuring the wavelengths of light absorbed and subsequently emitted.
- Olis DM 45 Fluorimeter
Atomic Absorption/Emission Spectroscopy
Qualitative and quantitative elemental analysis technique.
- Perkin Elmer 5100 Atomic Absorption with Graphite Furnace
- Spectro Analytical FTMEA81D Inductively Coupled Plasma
Provides information about molecular structure via electronic transitions.
- Agilent 8452 Diode Array UV/Vis
- Hewlett Packard 8452A Diode Array UV/Vis
- Hewlett Packard 8453 Diode Array UV/Vis
- Hitachi U1900 UV/Vis
- Varian Cary 2300 UV/Vis-Near IR
Determine the molecular weight and the structure of a compound via decomposition fragments.
- LCMS ThermoScientific LCQ Fleet Ion Trap Mass Spectrometer with Accela High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) System (Electrospray Ionization (ECI) and Atmospheric-Pressure Chemical Ionization (APCI) Probes)
- Agilent Technologies 6850/5973 Gas Chromatograph /Mass Spectrometer
Separate and identify the components of mixtures.
- Agilent Technologies G-1602A Capillary Electrophoresis with Diode Array Detector
- Dionex ICS-3000 Ion Chromatograph
- Agilent Technologies 1100 HPLC with Diode Array Detector
- Hewlett-Packard 1090L-034 HPLC with Diode Array Detector
- Agilent 6850 Gas Chromatograph
- Hewlett-Packard 6890 Gas Chromatograph
Investigates the properties of ions and molecules via their interaction with an electrode surface.
- Applied Biosystems 270A-HT Capillary Electrophoresis
- Princeton Applied Research Electrochemical Trace Analyzer
- PARC 273A Potentiostat/Galvanostat
Used to study the electronic energy levels of molecules and determine geometric and bonding properties.
- Level 95L, 5 Watt, Argon Ion laser
- Coherent Innova 90C, 5 Watt, Argon Ion Laser
- Coherent 599 Dye Laser
- Coherent 699-29 Dye Laser
- Continuum NdYAG Surelite III Pulsed Laser
- Continuum ND6000 Tunable Pulsed Dye Laser
Separate mixtures of biochemical components.
- Sorvall RC-6 Plus Super-Speed
- Beckman-Coulter L8-70 Ultra
- Perkin-Elmer TGA7 Thermogravimetric Analyzer
- Perkin-Elmer DSC7 Differential Scanning Calorimeter
- Micromeritics Tristar 3000 Surface Area and Porosimetry Analyzer
- Alpha Innotech Red Personal Gel Imaging System
- Thermo -80 °C Freezer
- Bio-Rad MJ Mini Gradient Thermocycler
- Radiometer Analytical TIM865 Titration Manager Auto-Titrator
- Isco SFX System 2130 Supercritical Fluid Extractor
- HE-43-2 Dri-Lab Vacuum Atmosphere Dry Box
- Bio-Tek FLX-800 Fluorescence Plate Reader
- Metrohm 684 KF Coulometer
- Photoreactor Box with SpectraPhysics 600W Xe Arc Lamp
- Machine shop with lathe, milling machine, drill press, cut-off saw, bandsaw, and belt sander
- Annealing oven and other glass-blowing equipment
- Software: Gaussian 09, ChemBioOffice 2014