International Student FAQ

What kinds of scholarships do you offer international students?

All international students are automatically reviewed for a merit scholarship, which is based on their GPA on a U.S. equivalent grading scale. We do not currently offer need-based aid to international students. We encourage all students to explore aid opportunities through outside scholarships, government programs, a sponsor, etc. For more information about tuition and scholarships, please visit our International Student Tuition and Scholarships Page.

When will my I-20 form be issued?

After submitting their completed Certificate of Finance form, supporting financial documents, copy of their passport ID page, AND paying their deposit, accepted students will receive an email with next steps to obtain their student visa. Please visit our International Student Timeline Page for an outline of the process.

How do I make my deposit from outside of the United States?

To make international payment more convenient, Canisius University has partnered with TransferMate, Flywire and NorthStar Currency in order to streamline the process of international payments for tuition and fees (either international payment provider can be used). Please refer to the International Payments page for instructions.

Can I be exempt from submitting English Language Proficiency test scores?

Due to our lack of ESL support on campus, it is rare we make exceptions in regards to submitting English Language Proficiency, or ELP, test scores. Please see our ELP Page for more information.

When is the deadline to apply?

Canisius University has a rolling admissions policy. However, international applicants, with the exception of Canadian students, are encouraged to submit a completed application and all supplemental materials for review at least 6 months prior to the start date of the semester you are applying for to allow time for the visa application process.

I have attended a higher education institution. Do I apply as a transfer student or a freshman?

If you have taken courses at a college or university after graduating high school, you will complete the transfer application. Please see our Transfer International Student Page for more information on the transfer application process.

Is housing available?

Yes, we offer several options for on-campus housing. Please visit our Student Housing Page to learn more about available accommodations and take a virtual tour of our dorms!

Do you offer any online undergraduate programs?

No, we do not currently offer fully online undergraduate degree programs. There may be a select number of courses available for undergraduate students to take online during their time at Canisius, but in general, the availability of online undergraduate courses is limited.

Will my credit(s) transfer?

Whether you are a freshman student who completed college credit in high school or a transfer student who has taken college courses, Canisius offers a number of tools to assist in learning how your credits may transfer in. We consider a number of different sources for possible transfer credit. Please see either our Freshmen Credit Page or our Transfer Credit Page to learn more.