Learn to use big data to help companies make better and faster decisions and operate more efficiently. The data analytics master’s degree at Canisius University offers real-world learning opportunities, strong industry connections and flexible course delivery options to fit your schedule. When you graduate, you’ll be prepared to work as a data specialist across a range of industries and organizations.
Canisius Data Programs at a Glance
Find the Data Program That’s Right for You
Choose cybersecurity if:
- You want to focus on engineering, programming and developing business and organization networks.
- You want the most technical of our data programs.
Choose data analytics if:
- You want to focus on advanced data analysis to synthesize insights and build skills applicable across a range of industries and organizations.
- You want the most scientific of our data programs.
Choose business analytics if:
- You want to focus on using data to identify trends, inform narratives and generate solutions and drive business decisions.
- You want the most commercial of our data programs.
We’ll Work With You To Shape Your Program
We designed this graduate program to work with your level of education and experience. No matter where you are in your career – just starting out, jumping to a new field, or building on years of experience – your program can be tailored to suit you.
- Foundation courses get you up to speed. If you’re a new grad or a career changer with little or no experience in the field, you can develop the core competencies that you need for long-term success right at the beginning of your program.
- Foundation courses can be waived with relevant experience. If you’re a seasoned pro eager to deepen your knowledge and hone your skills even further, you can get right into the material – and get to degree completion faster.
Contact @email to connect with a graduate admissions advisor and see what your path to a graduate degree could look like.
Prepare for High-Demand Careers as a Data Specialist
If you’re a keen problem-solver who enjoys working with numbers and is looking to jump into a constantly evolving, in-demand field, consider earning your master’s in data analytics. At Canisius, you will:
- Learn how to analyze large data sets and apply data knowledge within a field of specialization
- Gain programming skills in SAS, R, Python, SQL, Spark and Tableau
- Build essential teamwork and communication skills to excel within diverse, multidisciplinary organizations
- Develop a solid grounding in data ethics — critical training in an age where the accumulation and storage of personal data is increasing
Our one-year, full-time program is ideal for students coming straight from undergraduate study. We also offer a part-time option designed with evening classes for working professionals, which can be completed in as few as two years. A STEM degree is not required and our program is open to students from any undergraduate background.
Real-world learning opportunities and professional networking
As part of this program, you’ll participate in an internship or supervised project with a local business or nonprofit — gaining hands-on experience carrying out a comprehensive data analytics process. At the same time, you’ll gain a wide range of viewpoints on data analytics, from faculty in areas from business to computer science and mathematics.
Our Data Analytics Advisory Council, comprised of leading data specialists in the region, help to facilitate internships and experiential learning for students in the program. The Council also invites guest speakers who bring real-world experiences and insights to the classes.
Career Opportunities for Data Analytics Master’s Degree Graduates
Data specialists are in high demand because they help businesses to plan better and work more efficiently.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment of operations and research analysts (which includes data analysts and data scientists) is expected to grow 23% over the next decade, making this one of the fastest-growing fields in the nation. It’s also one of the highest-paying — Glassdoor ranks data scientist among the Top 25 Highest Paying Jobs in America, with an average salary of $97,027. The median salary for operations and research analysts in general, according to the BLS, is $82,360.
Our master’s in data analytics program graduates work in all types of industries, including banking, finance, insurance, advertising and health care. They go on to successful careers as data analysts, business analysts, quantitative analysts, programmers and engineers. Other jobs with a master’s in data analytics include:
• Data specialist
• Data engineer
• IT systems analyst
• Data analytics consultant
• Digital marketing engineer
Where Our Alumni Have Worked
- Business Analyst, Alliance Drawback Services
- Principal, SMB Management Corp.
- Senior Quantitative Analyst, M&T Bank
- Data Analyst, UBMD Orthopedics and Sports Management
- Application Developer, Sodexo
- Senior Financial Analyst, Moog Inc.
- Analytics Engineer, Flywire
- Transaction Analyst , Citi
- Professor of Management , Canisius University
- Senior HR Business Partner, US&C Mobility, Global Business Development & Growth Bets, Uber
- Senior Treasury Quantitative Analyst, M&T Bank
- Treasury Quantitative Analyst - Assistant Vice President, M&T Bank
- Senior Business Analytics and Reporting Data Analyst, M&T Bank
- Senior Associate, Leyton
- Accountant, United States Department of the Treasury
- Assistant Vice President- Model Risk Analytics, Citi
- Strategy Research Data Analyst, Bloomberg LP
- Assistant Vice President - Data Analytics Senior Analyst , Citi
Master’s in Data Analytics Program Highlights
- STEM degree not required
- GMAT/GRE not required
- Strong industry connections within Western New York that lead to internship and job opportunities
- Part-time option with evening courses designed for working professionals
- Funding and scholarship opportunities available
- Experienced faculty comprised of scholars, big data researchers and industry professionals
- Ability to tailor course requirements to fit your goals and interests
- Program qualifies for the STEM OPT extension, enabling international students to work for an additional 24 months post-graduation in the U.S. in the data analytics field
• Data Stewardship: Preparation, Exploration and Handling of Big Data – Explore the ethical issues surrounding big data and address technical issues related to working with large data sets.
• Data Mining and Machine Learning – Get a broad overview and learn a variety of methods essential to modern data mining and statistical learning.
• Visualization and Presentations of Advanced Analytics – Learn to present complex results from data analytics to a range of audiences in a course that covers both real-time interactive displays and tools.
STEM Designation- International Students
Certain F-1 Students who receive science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) degrees can apply for a 24-month post-completion OPT extension. This program qualifies as a STEM designated program. Speak with your admissions counselor to learn more.
Have a Quick Question? Use Our Live Chat: