Instructional Technologies and Curriculum Design
In the 1960s, the overhead projector was a mainstay in both the school classroom and the company conference room. Better known as PCs, the first microcomputers were introduced to the workplace in the mid-1970s. Apple computers made their debut in the American classroom less than a decade later.. Today, technology’s role in educating and training people of all ages seems more influential than ever.
Are you a corporate trainer eager to help your teams collaborate more effectively? Or maybe you’re a school educator looking to use technology to enrich the classroom experience.
Our flexible Instructional Technologies and Curriculum Design program offers three different options, depending on your needs and goals. Regardless of which option you pursue, you’ll be inspired to make the most of 21st-century technologies that can enhance learning, collaboration, project management, training effectiveness and curriculum design.
Who Is This Program for?
- K-12 teachers who already have initial certification in their content area and are seeking professional certification or an advanced certificate
- Professional students who work in various industries (such as business, healthcare, higher education, manufacturing and government) and want to become certified trainers
Unique Program Features
- 8-week courses that enable you to complete the program in as little as 15 months
- 100% online, asynchronous instruction so you can complete coursework on your own time
- Opportunities to learn and practice with specific technologies like Chromebooks, Windows PCs, Google Apps for Education, Microsoft 365
- Opportunities to learn and practice with different learning management systems (Schoology, Cornerstone, Microsoft Teams, Cisco Webex Teams, etc.), video productions tools (WeVideo, Camtasia, Snagit, etc.) and more
- Experiential activities to help you complete all practicum requirements for New York State certification and/or professional field studies in your workplace or school
Preparation for Specialized Certification Exams
If you’re a teacher, the program will prepare to take the Google Certified Teacher and Flipped Learning Certification exams. If you’re a professional student, it will prepare you to take the Google Workplace Certification and Modern Workplace Microsoft 365 Certifications exams.
Two Degrees, One Advanced Certificate
Choose between two graduate degree options and one advanced certificate option. No matter which one you choose, as part of the program, you’ll engage in major projects to support your current work or professional goals.
Online Master’s Degree in Instructional Technologies and Curriculum Design (certification track, 33 credits)
Leading to New York State certification as an Educational Technology Specialist, this degree option is designed for teachers who hold initial certification in their content area and want professional certification. The focus is on the purposeful use of technology for teaching and learning. A major emphasis is on the application of technologies for content literacy in the K-12 environment.
Online Master’s Degree in Instructional Technologies and Curriculum Design (non-certification track, 33 credits)
This non-certification degree option is designed for individuals who deliver online instruction within a formal educational setting or in corporate training environments and other professional settings.
Online Advanced Certificate in Instructional Technologies and Curriculum Design (12 credits)
This advanced certificate option is designed for any professional who wants to learn additional teaching strategies. This includes educators from K-12 and higher education, professional trainers and project managers. Requiring only 4 courses, this certificate option can be completed in as little as 16 weeks.
This program was formerly called Educational Technologies and Emerging Media. Beginning with the fall 2021 semester, the new name is Instructional Technologies & Curriculum Design. Any changes to curriculum will be updated in our online course catalog.
Canisius College's online graduate programs in education are recognized by U.S. News and World Report as among the best in the nation. The rankings are based on five general categories: student engagement, student services and technology, admissions selectivity, faculty credentials and training, and peer reputation.
Extended Learning Opportunities