Health Center Services

Student Health treats minor injuries and illnesses that do not require emergency room treatment at a hospital. There is no cost or co-pay for appointments at the Student Health Center for students. Health center services are covered by the wellness fee. 

Below is a list of some of the common conditions treated in Student Health:
•    Flu
•    Cough
•    Sinus infections
•    Sore throats
•    Headaches
•    Earaches
•    Stomach Aches
•    Nausea/Vomiting/Diarrhea
•    Mono
•    Minor burns
•    Nose bleeds
•    Skin infections
•    Back pain
•    Muscle strains and sprains
•    Rashes
•    Cuts/bites/insect stings
•    Suture removal

Below is a list of some of the services provided in Student Health:

  • Nebulizer treatments
  • On-site lab testing such as strep throat, influenza, urine testing, mono testing and glucose screening
  • Loan crutches
  • Free over-the-counter medications 
  • Health education 
  • Referrals to specialists
  • NYS DMV Vision Exam 
Health Record Request

Physical Examination Form, Immunization Records, and Other Medical Records

Complete and submit the Authorization for Disclosure of Health Information Form to Student Health. Be sure the complete the form fully. 

Student Health cannot release information if the disclosure request is not clear or complete.

Student Health maintains your health record for a period of ten years after you have graduated or leave the college.

Lab and Diagnostic Testing

Student Health is registered with the New York State Department of Health as a limited service laboratory and performs point of care diagnostic tests. Available testing includes: rapid antigen testing for strep throat, COVID 19, influenza, urinalysis, rapid mono testing and glucose testing. 

Some conditions, however, require more specialized laboratory and diagnostic testing. Laboratory samples are collected on site for processing at Quest Laboratories, and are submitted to your health insurance. 

Diagnostic testing such as x-rays, CT scans, ultrasounds, etc. are done off campus. Bring your insurance card to any off-campus medical appointments. 

Students will be responsible for applicable copayments for off-campus lab and diagnostic services. 


Medical, Dental and Reproductive Health Services

A list of medical clinics, dentists and reproductive health providers is available at myCanisiusHealth.


Medical Note Policy


The Student Health Center understands that illness and injury may impact a student's ability to attend class.  It is the intent of this policy to articulate how the Student Health Center will assist students during these stressful times.  Students will be advised of their responsibility to contact their professors directly about missed classes or assignments, preferably before missing a class.  This approach encourages students, as emerging adults, to advocate for themselves and to take responsibility for their health and responsibilities.

If, however, a student requires additional assistance with faculty notification, the Student Health Center will follow the policy and procedures listed below.


The Student Health Center will provide a medical note when clinical findings indicate the student is too ill, or the injury too severe, to safely attend class or carry out regular campus activities.  The medical and nursing staff will assess this based on the severity of signs and symptoms and make a recommendation as part of the treatment plan.

The Student Health Center will not provide a note for missed classes prior to evaluation in Student Health. 


If you are too sick to go to class, follow these steps:

1. Notify your professor directly of an illness/injury that prevents you from going to class. This notification can be done by e-mail or phone and should be done before missing the class.
2. Schedule an appointment with Student Health. You can schedule an appointment by calling the office at 716-888-2610, or schedule an appointment online at myCanisiusHealth.
3. At your appointment, the healthcare provider will determine if you need miss class as part of the treatment plan.
4. Upon discharge from Student Health, you will receive an e-mail verification of your visit to Student Health. Print this verification e-mail and give to the professor as evidence of illness or injury.

If the professor does not accept the e-mail verification and requests a formal written note, the student must make an appointment for a nurse visit in Student Health to obtain the note.

The student must sign the Authorization for Release of Health Information form indicating who will receive the notification and what information is to be released by Student Health. 


Emergency Situations

In the event a student is admitted to the hospital, emergency room or experiencing other medical emergency circumstances, and unable to notify professors, the student should contact the associate dean for their department. The dean will in turn notify the student's faculty. The student should obtain a medical note from the health care provider they are seeing at the time of the emergency and present that note to faculty if needed.

Medicines and Prescriptions


The Student Health Center provides some over the counter medications to relieve the physical discomfort associated with fever, cold and flu symptoms, sore throat, nausea and minor injuries. These medications are free.

The Student Health Center provider may prescribe a medication at an appointment.  The prescription will be sent to a local pharmacy of your choice. Some local pharmacies will deliver medication to campus. 

Student Health does not write for medication refills prescribed by another physician.  If you take medication regularly, bring enough medication to campus with you to cover you until you go home.  Be sure to check that current medication will not expire while you are at school. Your doctor may be able to send refills of your medication to a pharmacy close to the school. 

Off Campus Physician Services

In order to provide you with the best medical care, Student Health may refer you to an off-campus physician or specialist. 
You must notify your health insurance carrier about the referral and obtain any authorization needed as you are responsible for payment for all off campus medical care. 

Sexual Assault


If you or someone you know has been a victim of sexual assault, learn detailed information on how to get help.

The following individuals are campus resources for students who have been a victim of sexual assault or who have concerns about a possible sexual assault:

Title IX Coordinator
Debbie Owens 
Frisch Hall 006

Sexual Assault Liaison 
Eileen Niland, MS, LMHC, NCC
Counseling Center, Bosch 105


Special Health Needs


Students with chronic medical conditions, such as diabetes, seizure disorder, cancer, heart problems, etc., that require regular evaluation and management will be referred by Student Health to an off-campus physician. Students should have copies of their medical records sent from their treating physician to the specialist in Western New York.

The Student Health Center will refer students needing special nursing services such as dressing changes, intravenous therapy, respiratory therapy, injections, assistance with activities of daily living or other specialized nursing services to a local home care agency.   

The Griff Center for Academic Engagement is also available to assist student with special health needs. The office can be reached at 716.888.2170.


TB Testing


Students may need TB testing for internships, employment or travel. Testing can be done by blood test or by skin test. Student Health tests for TB using a blood test which is sent to Quest Diagnostics for processing and billed to the student's insurance.

TB skin testing is not done in Student Health. A list of providers in Western New York who perform TB testing can be found at myCanisiusHealth.