For the Greater Glory. For the Greater You.
Here, leadership isn’t about status or a title – it’s a way of living.
Canisius University is a supportive community of people from all walks of life, engaged in conscientious academic, personal and spiritual inquiry. Griffs learn how to think more deeply, create more boldly, dare more courageously and live more compassionately, developing the skills and confidence to take the lead in their chosen field, career and community.
Who We Are
We take the best in every student – and make it that much greater. We believe that greatness is in everyone, and as each individual flourishes, the world benefits. Our rigorous curriculum, vibrant and inclusive campus environment, and professional and community connections create a transformative educational experience that goes deeper than imparting necessary skills and knowledge. Griffs know how to think and how to lead, making them not only well positioned to succeed in an ever-changing job market but also well equipped to change the world.
Canisius at a Glance
- Founded: 1870 in Buffalo, NY
- Affiliation: Jesuit
- Students: 2,492
- Accredited schools and colleges: 3
- Majors, minors and degree programs: 100+
- Student-faculty ratio: 11:1
- Percent of classes taught by faculty: 100%
- NCAA Division-I teams: 20
- Student-run clubs and organizations: 60+
- Alumni: 50,000+ worldwide
Rankings and Accolades
What We Stand For
- We are sensitive to the challenges that the world faces. As a university, we have the power to address injustice by expanding access to our transformative education, advancing equity, and producing new knowledge that advances humanity. And when our students graduate, they go on to meaningfully impact the areas that call out to them.
- Our community is respectful, creative and tightly knit. Here, we cherish and challenge the individual, making space and providing support for everyone to discover their passions, articulate their purpose and become the greatest version of themselves.
- We are determined to make a difference. We understand that doing things the way that they have always been done only perpetuates the status quo, and that there is no progress without action. Motivated by a vision of what could and should be, we move forward fearlessly.
- We see and respect every individual as a whole person. Every Griff, whether they’re a faculty member, staff person or a student, plays a role in every other Griff’s development. When we lift each other up, we all reach even greater heights.