Coaching Advanced Certificate
School of Education & Human Services
Beyond helping young athletes learn how to care for and condition their bodies, organized sports can teach core life skills around teamwork and healthy competition, including communication and problem-solving. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the decade-long growth rate for coaching jobs is projected to exceed 10% (2018-2028), reinforcing the valuable role coaches play in the learning process.
Currently Accepting Applications For
Spring, Summer and Fall
Eager to take your coaching career to the next level, even though you may currently lack conventional credentials? Our Coaching Advanced Certificate program is designed for coaches who either hold their teaching certification in an area other than physical education or have no teaching certificate and must qualify for a Temporary Coaching License.
Through four graduate-level online courses, the program will teach you interpersonal strategies for a productive coach-athlete relationship. You’ll explore a range of timely topics, including:
- Basic nutrition and the application of exercise principles
- Common challenges faced by today’s coaching professionals
- Principles of effective coaching, including the role of the coach, practice planning, leadership styles, organization and management, ethics and values clarification, goal setting, communication, career objectives, coaching burnout and sport psychology
- The social psychology of sport and physical activity
You’ll also have optional training in First Aid/CPR/AED and the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA).
By completing the certificate program:
- You’ll satisfy the New York State coaching education course requirement, making you eligible to apply for a NYSED coaching license
- You’ll be well-prepared for graduate work at the master’s-degree level, such as our Online Master of Science in Physical Education program