Today there are more than 3.5 million cybersecurity jobs around the globe waiting to be filled. Earn your cybersecurity master’s degree at Canisius College and work on the front lines of cyberspace to make the online world a safer, more secure environment. As Western New York’s only technology-based master’s level cybersecurity program, our program offers personal mentoring and support by faculty and unique opportunities for internships, professional certification and more.
Receive the Best Cybersecurity Training at Canisius
Protect businesses and government organizations from harmful data breaches. Defend from hacking intrusions. Secure vital networks that enable swift communication, strengthen commerce and allow us to connect with others from across the globe.
The cybersecurity master’s degree at Canisius College offers a unique, technology-based curriculum that opens up opportunities for programmers, engineers and software developers to advance their careers. For those looking to change careers, you’ll get foundational knowledge and hands-on experience to break into the field. Our program also adheres to Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and NSA Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Guidelines.
At Canisius, you’ll engage in real-world cybersecurity training via internships with local businesses and hands-on learning experiences through various projects and collaborations. You’ll learn to perform information security risk assessments, identify potential threats and develop threat mitigation strategies to protect valuable networks. You’ll also gain a strong understanding of 21st-century cybersecurity tools and how to build them in a state-of-the-art Cybersecurity Lab on campus.
Network with others and access special cybersecurity training, webinars, lectures and certifications such as Security+ and Certified Ethical Hacker with our partnerships with CompTIA, EC-Council and the U.S. Cyber Command. These rich partnerships make Canisius one of the best cybersecurity colleges in New York for value and academic excellence
U.S. CYBERCOM Partnership
The Canisius cybersecurity program is a proud member of U.S. CYBERCOM’s Academic Engagement Network, which gives students access to exclusive resources not found in other programs. This partnership connects students with cutting-edge problems in the cyber domain. Benefits include:
- Invitations to exclusive webinars about U.S. CYBERCOM’s most pressing technical and non-technical problems and key DoD programs that impact cyberspace.
- Access to guest lecturers from U.S. CYBERCOM on cyberspace strategy, policy, law, innovation and workforce issues.
Cybersecurity Program Highlights
- Open to students of any undergraduate background. Programming bridge courses offered for students from a non-computer science background to meet STEM requirements
- Flexible schedule – enroll full- or part-time
- State-of-the-art Cybersecurity Lab on campus
- Personal mentorship and support provided directly from experienced faculty who are industry experts in fields such as network security
- Funding and scholarship opportunities available
- Strong local business connections and premier internship opportunities in industries including health care and banking
- Solid grounding in technology ethics and cyber justice guided by our Jesuit tradition
- Curriculum follows national recommendations set by ACM & NSA
- The program prepares students for general cybersecurity certifications
- Reduced certification costs through partnership with CompTia
- GMAT/GRE not required
- STEM major eligible for 24-month OPT extension
Featured Courses in the Cybersecurity Master’s Degree
- Cybersecurity Principles – Examine the landscape and broad areas of cybersecurity including database security, malware, software security and many other topics while completing hands-on labs and exercises to reinforce your knowledge of computer, network and information security. This course prepares students for CompTia's Security+ Certification.
- Ethical Hacking & Penetration Testing – Gain an in-depth understanding of how to effectively protect computer networks by learning the tools and penetration testing methodologies used by ethical hackers. This course prepares students for EC-Council's Certified Ethical Hacker Certification.
- Secure Software Engineering – Learn secure programming practices that are necessary to develop applications that withstand cyberattacks and common software exploits.
Career Opportunities for Cybersecurity Program Graduates
Cybersecurity is one of the fastest-growing fields in the nation and around the world. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment of information security analysts is projected to grow 35 percent over the next decade — more than four times the average growth rate for all occupations. There are an estimated 3 million cybersecurity jobs needing to be filled globally, and more than 700,000 in the United States.
Graduates with a cybersecurity master’s degree can find a wealth of opportunities as computer and information systems managers, cybersecurity consultants, network security engineers or even chief information officers. Corporate giants like Microsoft and Google, along with the U.S. Federal government, are always searching for employees with top-notch cybersecurity training.
Since demand for cybersecurity experts is high, salaries are rewarding. The median pay for information security analysts, based on recent data from the BLS, is $102,600.
Have a Quick Question? Use Our Live Chat: