A freshman student is defined as a student who has the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma and has never attended a college or university.
Have you taken courses at a college or university? Visit our International Transfer Student Page to review requirements and apply now.
Freshman Application Requirements:
- Completed application (Canisius College App or Common App) and personal essay
- Secondary school transcripts that show all courses taken from 9th - 12th grade (the last four years of secondary school) and corresponding marks received. Transcripts must be certified originals in English.
- 9th grade is part of high school in the U.S. which is why we require these transcripts. We recognize that this may mean students are sending their final year of lower secondary school transcript.
- If you are unable to provide an official translated copy of your transcript in English, we are only able to accept translated transcripts from a NACES accredited organization. Please use this link to see a complete list of approved agencies.
- Two to three letters of recommendation (one must be from a school counselor or teacher)
- English Language Proficiency (ELP) test scores. View ELP Requirement
*Canisius College does not require freshmen applying for the Fall 2023 semester to submit standardized test scores. However, students may choose to submit standardized test scores to fulfill the English Language Proficiency requirement. Visit the above link to learn more about this requirement.
Early action deadline is December 1st. Applications will then be accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed periodically afterwards.**
**International applicants, with the exception of Canadian students, are encouraged to submit a completed application and all supplemental materials for review at least 6 months prior to the start date of the semester you are applying for. This is recommended to allow time for the visa application process.