Crime Prevention Services
Crime can occur in any community, regardless of location. Acknowledging this, the Department of Public Safety has two crime prevention officers on staff who have been trained specifically in crime prevention techniques. These officers are responsible for developing and guiding our crime prevention programs. Program topics include personal safety, sexual assault prevention, Valuables Identification Program (VIP), auto-theft, residence hall safety and security, off-campus housing security and various other programs.
For more information on crime prevention programs call the Department of Public Safety Crime Prevention Unit at 716.888.2330.
Prevention at Home, Your Apartment or Dorm Room
- Lock your doors and secure windows when leaving regardless of the length of time you plan to be away.
- Lock your doors even if you are home; it may keep unwanted guests from gaining entry.
- Never leave money, purses, wallets, expensive jewelry, or other valuables unattended.
- Never leave a note on your door stating that you are away or indicating what time you will return.
- Do not open the door automatically when hearing a knock. Require guests to identify themselves satisfactorily before opening the door.
- Do not loan your keys or ID card to anyone.
- If your apartment is equipped with an intrusion or panic alarm system, learn how to use it properly. An alarm system will not help protect you and your possessions if you fail to activate it.
Safety Measures around Campus
- Never leave clubrooms unlocked while unoccupied.
- Stay in the laundry area while doing your laundry; remove clothing from the washer or dryer as soon as the cycle is over.
- Place your name on several pages throughout all your books. This is indicates true ownership in the event of theft or loss.
- Pay attention to suspicious or unknown persons in the area. Note their description and call the Department of Public Safety immediately. Dial 711 (on-campus landline only) or (716) 888-2330.