Conversations in Christ
Joseph J. Naples Conversations in Christ & Culture Lecture and Performance Series
This is an ongoing lecture workshop and conference series within the Buffalo/Niagara Region. It is designed to foster conversations about important issues involving the relationship between Christianity and culture. It promotes cooperation and understanding across religious, gender and ethnic lines.
All lectures are free and open to the public. For more information contact Philip Reed, Associate Professor of Philosophy.
Reflecting on Silence
A screening and panel discussion of Martin Scorsese’s 2016 film
Wednesday, November 8
Regis Room, Student Center, Canisius College
Screening at 5:30 p.m.; Panel Discussion at 8:30 p.m.
Shusaku Endo’s revered 1966 novel, Silence, tells the story of a young Portuguese Jesuit priest’s journey to Japan in the 17th century to investigate charges of apostasy against his Jesuit mentor. The novel, which raises profound questions about faith, justice, and suffering, was adapted into a film two other times before Martin Scorsese developed his own version, which ranks among his finest work. A screening of the film will be followed by reflections from and discussion led by an expert panel, consisting of:
Fr. James Pribek, S.J., Associate Professor of English
Jennifer Lodi-Smith, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Psychology
Michael Forest, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Philosophy
This event is free and open to the public. Food will be provided
Conversations in Christ & Culture: Past Speakers
- John F. Haught, PhD, Georgetown University’s Woodstock Theological Center
- Peter C. Phan, PhD, Georgetown University
- T. Frank Kennedy, SJ, Canisius Professor at Boston College
- Brian D. McLaren is an author, speaker, activist and networker among innovative Christian leaders.
- Fr. Dean Brackley, S.J., University of Central America in El Salvador
- Lisa Sowle Cahill, Boston College
- Rev. Francis Clooney, S.J, Harvard University
- Dr. James Cone, Union Theological Seminary, NYC
- Dr. Martin Cook, Air Force Academy, Boulder, CO
- Dr. John Dominic Crossan, Depal University
- Dr. Lawrence Cunningham, Notre Dame University
- Avery Cardinal Dulles, S.J., Fordham University
- Rabbi Elyse Goldstein, Kolel Center in Toronto
- Joseph Grieboski, Institute on Religion and Public Policy
- Dolores C. Huerta, Co-founder and Vice President Emeritus
- Elizabeth Johnson, Fordham University
- Gustav Niebuhr, Syracuse University
- Rabbi David Novak, University of Toronto
- Rev. Mitch Pacwa, S.J., Ignatius Productions
- Rev. John Pawlikowski, University of Chicago
- David Robinson, National Director Pax Christi
- Dr. Ronald Sider, Palmer Theological Seminary
- Linda E. Thomas, Lutheran School of Theology
- George Weigel, Ethics and Policy Center Washington D.C.
- Robert Wuthnow, Princeton University