24/7 Support via Chat & Phone
Maybe it’s urgent and you need to speak with someone right away. Or, you’re just looking for one-off opportunity to talk and get some support. Or perhaps, you need help getting connected with counseling providers in your local area who can offer ongoing treatment. Whatever your need may be, wherever you are, we’ve got you covered.
The Counseling Center has partnered with TELUS Health Student Support to offer 24/7 support via chat and phone for any Canisius students, no matter the location. TELUS counselors are masters-level clinicians with a minimum of five years of experience.
- Typed, chat-based services are available in English, Chinese, Arabic, Korean, Spanish, and French
- Phone counseling (audio only) is available in up to 60 different languages.
*Note these links are external and open in a new window
Getting Started with TELUS Health Student Support
You may access TELUS Health Student Support in a few ways:
- Download the TELUS Health app from the Apple Store (link is external and opens in a new window) or Google Play Store (link is external and opens in a new window) and use the chat or phone function.
- Open TELUS on your browser here and login.
- Or, call TELUS Health directly
- United States (866) 743-7732
- Canada (855) 649-8641
- International +1-678-799-7451
When you first sign up for TELUS Health Student Support, you must provide the following information:
- The institution you are enrolled with (to ensure eligibility)
- Your first and last name
- Your preferred phone number and email
- Your date of birth (for identification purposes)
- A security question for your file (e.g. mother’s maiden name)
Your call or chat will be answered by one of TELUS Health's trained Client Care Representatives. The representative will collect some information to create a confidential client record, then complete an initial needs and risk assessment.
TELUS Health FAQ
What is Telus Health?
TELUS Health (formerly My SSP) is a third-party partner that provides:
- 24/7 access to mental health support via chat and phone through the app Apple (link is external and opens in a new window) and Android (link is external and opens in a new window))
- Short term counseling support via phone around the country and the world
- Linkage for ongoing treatment with providers around the country and the world.
What does it cost?
Access to TELUS Health is available free to all currently enrolled Canisius students.
How does it work?
Once you reach out, either via the app or telephone, you’ll be linked with a clinician at TELUS Health.
What can I use it for?
TELUS Health clinicians are available to assist you with the following:
- Speaking with someone right away if it’s urgent
- Having a one-time opportunity to talk and get some support
- Getting connected with providers on your campus or in your community who can offer ongoing treatment
Can I access in-person, face-to-face counseling through TELUS Health?
No. TELUS Health offers telephone, chat-based consultation and emotional counseling only.
What if it's a crisis?
If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call 988 (mental health) or 911 immediately, or go to your nearest emergency room.
If you are experiencing urgent clinical concerns and need to speak with someone right away, take one of the following actions:
- Call Canisius University Counseling Center at 716-888-2620 (during business hours) or Canisius University Public Safety at 716-888-2330 or 988 (after hours).
- Go through the TELUS Health app Apple (link is external and opens in a new window) and Android (link is external and opens in a new window) or call 988.
What if I need more specialized or long-term support?
If your concern is more specialized or requires longer-term treatment, TELUS Health may refer you to various community-based resources in your area that are better suited to support your needs. This includes face-to-face or virtual counseling and psychiatric treatment. These services would be covered by your health insurance plan or be considered out of pocket expenses.
Does TELUS Health provide psychiatric treatment?
No. TELUS Health can provide referrals to community-based psychiatric treatment or medication management providers. These may be covered by your health insurance plan or be considered out of pocket expenses. Be sure to check with your insurance or provider before any appointments.
Can I use TELUS Health if I am in treatment with a mental health provider, through either Canisius Counseling Center or elsewhere in the community?
Yes. Any eligible Canisius University student may access TELUS Health, regardless of whether or not you may be in treatment elsewhere.
Is there a limit to the number of times I can access this support?
No. Over the course of an academic cycle, it is common for a student to reach out multiple times looking for support on a variety of issues.
Is it confidential?
Yes. All of your contacts with TELUS Health are confidential. Except in instances where there is concern regarding immediate safety, you must provide your consent for anything you say to be shared.
How is TELUS Health connected with the Canisius University Counseling Center?
TELUS Health is a third-party partner of our Counseling Center. Your contact with TELUS Health will be shared with the Counseling Center ONLY if you provide consent. Any information shared with the Counseling Center remains confidential and cannot be shared without your consent. Terms of Service.
The Counseling Center continues to provide short-term counseling, as well as offering consultation and referral to treatment providers in the community. Schedule an initial consultation with a Counseling Center counselor here.
Why do I have to create a user profile in the TELUS Health app?
Creating a profile helps you in two main ways:
- You can access services via the app much quicker once a confidential file has been created for you.
- The TELUS Health clinician will know how to get back in touch with you if your call or chat accidentally disconnects.