Blue & Gold Athletics Fund
When you contribute to the Blue & Gold Fund, you are helping develop the next generation of Golden Griffin champions. One hundred percent of your gift enhances the student experience. Give Canisius athletes the competitive edge and make your gift today!
Last year, more than 1,900 donors contributed more than $400,000 to the Blue and Gold Athletics Fund, providing essential funding that impacted our programs in the areas of scholarships, coaching excellence, recruiting and team travel, helping our 381 student-athletes excel in the classroom and on the field of competition.
Because of donors' support, we celebrated several program highlights during the 2020-21 year, including:
• The men’s basketball team finished the 2020-21 season with a winning record, the third time the Griffs were .500 or better in the last five seasons. Junior Malek Green was honored as the MAAC’s Sixth Player of the Year, making him the third Canisius player in the last four years to
earn a major individual award from the conference.
• The hockey team earned a berth into the Atlantic Hockey Association’s championship game for the third time in program history and for the first time since 2013-14.
• Under the direction of first year head coach Shannon Thompson, the volleyball team earned a trip to the MAAC Volleyball Championship. The Griffs lost in the conference’s championship match, the program’s second appearance in the conference championship match in the last four
• Competing in a unique format where most of the event was done virtually, the women’s swimming and diving teams placed second in the 2021 MAAC Spring Swimming and Diving Invitational, while the men’s program earned a fifth-place finish.
• The men’s lacrosse, softball and baseball teams all hosted MAAC Championship quarterfinal round playoff games in the spring of 2021, the first time the College has hosted three spring championship events on campus in the same year.
• The softball team earned the right to host the double-elimination round of the 2021 MAAC Softball Championship at the Demske Sports Complex. The Griffs battled back through the elimination bracket to play in the league’s championship series for the first time since 2009.
• The baseball team advanced to the semifinal round of the 2021 MAAC Baseball Championship by taking two-of-three games from Marist in the quarterfinal round. The baseball team has qualified for the MAAC Baseball Championship in 14-straight years, the longest active streak for
any team in the conference.
• A total of 22 Canisius student-athletes were named to their respective all-conference teams during the 2020-21 year, highlighted by senior softball player Kara Paradowski, who also earned NFCA All-Regional accolades as well.
• The athletic department has another strong showing in the classroom as well, with 19 of the College’s 20 varsity teams recording a team grade point average of 3.0 or better in the spring 2021 semester. The school’s 381 student-athletes combine to post a 3.429 grade point
average for the semester, with 58 student-athletes recording a perfect 4.0 GPA in the spring term. Overall, 81 percent of the College’s student-athlete population holds a GPA of 3.0 or better.
Thank you in advance for supporting the Blue & Gold Fund and our students!