Tutoring will begin during the second week of classes. For the Fall 2021 Semester, tutoring will begin on Tuesday, September 7th. The Tutoring Center will operate on a hybrid, in-person/virtual basis. Students will be able to drop in for in-person tutoring, as well as request virtual tutoring. Students are limited to 3 sessions (total of 3 hours) of tutoring services per week and must be currently enrolled in the courses for which they are receiving tutoring. To request a tutor, click here. View the Fall 2021 tutor schedule here.
We are also offering one-on-one workshops via Google Hangouts. Current workshop topics are: Time Management, Study Skills, Note Taking, Talking with Professors. Workshop appointments may be requested here.
Tutoring sessions primarily consist of group sessions led by a peer tutor. This is especially the case for courses that lend themselves to more group academic assistance, such as math, accounting, economics, and physical science courses. Tutors are available in the majority of academic disciplines and employ various academic strategies to help address individual student needs.
The Tutoring Center at Canisius College offers a comprehensive level of tutorial services to best support students in successfully completing their academic careers while assisting them in developing the skills to become successful lifelong learners. It provides a dedicated staff of peer tutors ready to assist students in their academic pursuits. In accordance to the Canisius College mission, “we foster in our students a commitment to excellence”.
Peer Tutor Qualifications
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Canisius College with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Must have obtained a B+ or better (exception can be made by the academic department) in the course you wish to tutor.
- Must be in good academic and judicial standing with the College.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and a genuine desire to assist fellow students.
- Must receive two letters of recommendation. One must be from the professor of the class you wish to tutor.
- Must have at least a sophomore standing.
- Must have a social security number (international students can work with the Office of International Student Programs who can provide guidance on how to secure a social security card if necessary).
- Willing to commit to tutoring from the date of hire until the end of the semester.
- Conduct individual and/or group tutoring sessions depending on demand.
- Adhere to Tutoring Services policies and procedures.
- Participate in mandatory tutor training workshops.
- Keep complete and accurate record of all tutoring sessions.
Hours of Operation for In-Person Tutoring Sessions (During the Academic Semesters)
Mondays - Thursdays: 10am-5pm
Virtual tutoring available by appointment.
Tutoring Center | OM 315
Tutoring Center will be closed during all school holidays.
For more information please contact Monika L. McFoy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Tutoring Center at 716.888.2852.