Tutoring Services will close at 1pm Friday, February 15 and re-open Wednesday, February 20 at 11am.
Tutoring Services provide a variety of opportunities for students to achieve academic success. The services are free-of-charge and open to all Canisius students.
Tutoring sessions primarily consist of group sessions led by a peer tutor. This is especially the case for courses that lend themselves to more group academic assistance, such as math, accounting, economics, and physical science courses. Tutors are available in the majority of academic disciplines and employ various academic strategies to help address individual student needs.
There are some opportunities for students to receive one-on-one academic assistance from a peer tutor. One-on-one tutoring occurs primarily for humanities based classes, language courses, and exclusive physical science topics.
Please contact on-call tutors via the email address listed on the schedule for tutoring.
If you do not see a tutor for the subject that you need, please contact Monika L. McFoy at email@example.com.
Tutoring Services at Canisius College offer a comprehensive level of tutorial services to best support students in successfully completing their academic careers while assisting them in developing the skills to become successful lifelong learners. It provides a dedicated staff of peer tutors ready to assist students in their academic pursuits. In accordance to the Canisius College mission, “we foster in our students a commitment to excellence”.
Peer Tutor Qualifications
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Canisius College with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Must have obtained a B+ or better (exception can be made by the academic department) in the course you wish to tutor.
- Must be in good academic and judicial standing with the College.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and a genuine desire to assist fellow students.
- Must receive two letters of recommendation. One must be from the professor of the class you wish to tutor.
- Must have at least a sophomore standing.
- Must have a social security number (international students can work with the Office of International Student Programs who can provide guidance on how to secure a social security card if necessary).
- Willing to commit to tutoring from the date of hire until the end of the semester.
- Conduct individual and/or group tutoring sessions depending on demand.
- Adhere to Tutoring Services policies and procedures.
- Participate in mandatory tutor training workshops.
- Keep complete and accurate record of all tutoring sessions.
Hours of Operation (During the Academic Semesters)
Mondays - Thursdays: 11am-9pm
Tutoring Services| OM 315
Tutoring Services will be closed during all school holidays. For more information please contact Monika L. McFoy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Tutoring Services office at 716.888.2485.