Education Technologies & Emerging Media
Graduate: Master's, Advanced Certificate Available online
The Instructional Technologies and Curriculum Design programs are innovative and fully online. These programs are designed to inspire both professionals and educators how to use technology in the workplace and classroom in a purposeful way to enrich and enhance learning, training, collaboration, project management, and curriculum design.
Note: In fall of 2021, this program will be renamed as Instructional Technologies & Curriculum Design. Any changes to curriculum will be updated here and in our course catalog.
Professional students and educators are encouraged to apply! This program is perfect for K-12 teachers who already have their initial certification in their content area and are seeking professional certification. Professional students in varied enterprises including business, healthcare, industry, higher education, and government can become certified trainers bringing the most advanced technology driven strategies to enhance and facilitate project management in any working environment. Students focus on the purposeful use of technology for teaching and learning with a major emphasis on the application of technologies for instructional design.
In addition, the second option within this program is designed for individuals who will deliver online courses and instruction in training environments outside of education with an emphasis on talent and leadership development. Students are given the opportunity to apply major projects and papers to their current work or desired professional goals. This program option can be completed through the master's degree that does not lead to a New York State teaching certification or the advanced certificate.
Degrees & Certificates
The program gives you the flexibility to choose between two graduate degrees and one certificate option:
Online Master’s Degree in Instructional Technologies and Curriculum Design (NYS Teaching Certification) - Leads to New York State certification as an Educational Technology Specialist. Focuses on the purposeful use of technology for teaching and learning. A major emphasis is on the application of technologies for content literacy in the K-12 environment. Students are given the opportunity to apply major projects to their current work or desired professional goals. Program is designed for teachers with Initial Certification in their content area seeking Professional Certification in New York State. (33 credits)
Online Master’s Degree in Instructional Technologies and Curriculum Design – Not leading to New York State certification. Designed for those who will deliver online courses and programs both within a formal educational setting and in training environments in professional settings. Students are given the opportunity to apply major projects and papers to their current work or desired professional goals. (33 credits)
Both of these master's degree choices give you the opportunity to apply major projects and papers to your current work or desired professional goals.
Online Advanced Certificate in Instructional Technologies and Curriculum Design – Not leading to New York State certification. Enhances the instructional strategies of instructors in higher education, primary and secondary school teachers, and professional trainers and project managers outside of education. The four courses required may be completed in as little as 16 weeks. (12 credits)
- Eight week classes allow you to complete the program in as little as 15 months
- Fully online asynchronous classes giving working candidates the flexibility to complete coursework on their own schedules
- Complete all practicum requirements for New York State certification and professional field studies in your local area and present place of employment (workplace or school)
- Learn how to effectively use specific technologies like Chromebooks, Windows PCs, Google Apps for Education, Microsoft 365, different learning management systems (Schoology, Cornerstone, Microsoft Teams, Cysco Teams, etc.), video productions tools (WeVideo, Camtasia, Snagit, etc.), and more
- Courses prepare students to take the Google Certified Teacher and Flipped Learning Certification exams
- Courses prepare professional students to take the Google Workplace Certification and Modern Workplace Microsoft 365 Certifications exams
- K-12 teachers (any content area or initial certification) and higher education faculty welcomed
- Professional students including those in business, healthcare, industry, government, non-profits, sports management, and other enterprise settings welcomed
- Master’s degree or Certificate programs
How Do Online Classes Work?
Many students wonder about the format and mechanics of online classes. Program director Ron Kotlik put together a video guide to show you exactly how online classes work:
Have a Quick Question? Use Our Live Chat:
Canisius College's online graduate programs in education are recognized by U.S. News and World Report as among the best in the nation. The rankings are based on five general categories: student engagement, student services and technology, admissions selectivity, faculty credentials and training, and peer reputation.
2018 Best Online Graduate Education Programs, U.S. News & World Report
View our webinar featuring information on Technology Tools for Common Core Close Reading of Text. This makes a perfect complement to those looking to learn more about Education Technology.
Testimonials & Ambassadors
Explore firsthand accounts from graduates of the program and learn how to get in touch with program ambassadors.