Western New York Teacher Residency
Children in our schools today need qualified, skilled teachers who are committed to their success. Teachers must possess the professional skills necessary to address the unique challenges faced by students in our culturally, linguistically, and socioeconomically diverse classrooms in the city of Buffalo and Western New York region.
The WNY Teacher residency program is a rigorous two-year program modeled after medical residencies. The rigorous apprenticeship culminates in a teaching residency or one full year of supervised teaching in a multicultural high-needs school setting.
No prior teaching experience is required.
- Earn a NYS dual certification in Childhood/Special Education (Gr. 1-6) and a master's degree in just 24 months. Option to add Early or Middle Childhood extensions (6 credits each).
- Gain practical field experience immediately with our school partners beginning on day one.
- Be first in line for hiring opportunities in partner schools
We understand that returning to college as a full-time student involves a significant commitment. Thanks to the generosity of our benefactors and strong school partnerships, Canisius is able to provide additional support to help program participants manage the cost of tuition and living expenses, including:
- A Teacher Residency Scholarship that covers 30% of graduate tuition
- A $27,000 teacher assistant salary that is paid by the partner school during the residency year
- Paid summer clinical field work, working with students with disabilities in our partner schools
- Priority hiring status upon completion of the program
- Varied learning experiences, which include classes that are online, hybrid, and face to face