Western New York Teacher Residency
Become a teacher and inspire your students
Children in our schools today need qualified, skilled teachers who are committed to their success. To be an effective practitioner requires special training. Teachers must possess the professional skills necessary to address the unique challenges faced by students in our culturally, linguistically and socioeconomically diverse classrooms in the city of Buffalo.
Considering the college's mission to social justice, Canisius is introducing the Western New York Teacher Residency, an innovative approach to training the next generation of teachers who are committed to the potential of every child. If you’ve thought about pursuing a teaching career and have a passion for teaching in the city of Buffalo, the WNY Teacher Residency may be for you.
We understand that returning to college as a full-time student involves a significant commitment. Thanks to the generosity of our benefactors and strong school partnerships, Canisius is able to provide additional support to help program participants manage the cost of tuition and living expenses, including:
- A Teacher Residency Scholarship that covers 30% of graduate tuition
- A $24,000 teacher assistant salary that is paid by the partner school during the residency year
- Paid summer clinical field work, working with students with disabilities in our partner schools
- Complimentary campus housing in the summer months
- Priority hiring status upon completion of the program
- Varied learning experiences, which include classes that are online, hybrid, and face to face
- Have a keen awareness and sensitivity to the academic, social, and emotional needs of students and a strong desire to teach in a multicultural, high- needs school
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in any major from an accredited college/university
- Have achieved an acceptable undergraduate GPA
- Have completed a standardized placement test (e.g. GRE, MAT, SAT, or ACT)
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information, click the below link. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (716) 888-2545 or (800) 950-2505.
Your support helps to strengthen and expand participation in our program. To donate now, click the link below and choose “Other Gift Designation”. Then direct your gift to the Canisius Center for Urban Education.
Our partners aid the development and sustainability of the Canisius WNY Teacher Residency program. Learn more about each below.