ArtsCanisius Announces Music Programs for April
BUFFALO, NY – ArtsCanisius presents the following performances, which are free and open to the public, unless otherwise specified:
- Friday, April 20 – Ignatian Scholarship Day Concert at 7:00 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center. The performance will feature theCanisius Concert Band, under the direction of Paul Biddle, and the Canisius Jazz Ensemble, under the direction of Dave Schiavone.
- Saturday, April 21 – Pianist Yen Yu Chen at7:30 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center. Under the sponsorship of the Stecher and Horowitz Foundation, Chen will perform a recital of works by Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy, Liszt, Prokofiev, Scarlatti, R. Schumann and Stravinsky.
Chen, a native of Taipei, Taiwan, had her first piano lesson at age 6. By 16, she was the second prize winner at the 2010 Fifth New York International Piano Competition. The same year, Chen won first prize at the American Protégé International Competition. Chen is the recipient of numerous other awards in Taiwan and in the United States, including the grand prize in the Rising Stars Concerto Competition, first prize in the Vienna National Piano Competition, first prize in the Taipei Music Competition and the National Music Competition sponsored by the Ministry of Education.
She has performed at the 100 Pianists Concert in Washington, D.C., as well as at solo recitals at Tamkang University, the Mandarin Daily News Hall, the National Concert Hall in Taiwan and Carnegie Hall in New York. Chen has performed as a soloist with the Taipei Symphony Orchestra, the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Monday, April 23 – Meet-the-Faculty Recital featuring Leslie Salathé, viola and Alfred Frenning, piano at 12:00 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center. The program will include works for viola and piano by Rudolph Forst, Ralph Vaughn Williams, Ludwig van Beethoven and Georges Enesco. A violist with the Parker Quartet and the Quartette Classique, Salathé performs regularly with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and is a member of the Ars Nova musicians.
- Saturday, April 28 – Canisius Chorale performs, under the direction of Frank Scinta, at 7:30 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center.
- Sunday, April 29 – Canisius Chamber Orchestra performs, under the direction of Ansgarius Aylward, at 7:30 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center.
The ArtsCanisius series at Canisius College presents concerts by professional musicians, including members of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and Canisius faculty, art shows and lectures by professional artists, as well as student recitals. For more information, contact the Fine Arts Department at (716) 888-2536 or visit the website at canisius.edu/artscanisius.
Canisius is one of 28 Catholic, Jesuit colleges in the nation and the premier private college in Western New York. Canisius prepares leaders – intelligent, caring, faithful individuals – able to pursue and promote excellence in their professions, their communities and their service to humanity.